Thursday, July 29, 2010

What It Is

I've been thinking a lot about a few things lately. Namely A) If I should write this blog post B) How I should write this blog post and C) If it would be possible to survive solely on wine and cookies. Hey, I never said all three things were related.

But anyway.

Obviously I have not written much in awhile. As many people who know me in real life have figured out, things have been not so good around here lately. Well, I shouldn't say that. Things have been interesting around here. The one good thing that has happened is that we have found answers. Answers that confuse, frustrate and scare me, but answers nonetheless.

Tate has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

Just writing that has caused tears to prick my eyes once again. I think I've cried more in the past 3 months than I have in the 32 years prior. I often wonder when I'll be able to write or speak those words consistently without getting tears in my eyes or a lump in my throat or my chin doing that wobbling, wrinkling thing that makes you look really ugly. I've determined that I am not an attractive crier. My face looks like an old wrinkly potato.

So, that's what it is. Oh, and he has ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder) thrown in there too. It's like a little salad of behavioral disorders. Now, anyone who has met, read about, or...seen Tate in the distance will probably be nodding their head along with this diagnosis. I mean, hello. At some point I fully expect his picture to be placed next to the ODD description in whatever book holds such descriptions.
I'm not going to go into a butt-ton of detail, just because the post would be like 800 paragraphs long and everyone would lose interest pretty darn quick. Oh, and I'd just keep getting all potato face-y. But believe me, I could go on and on and ON. I just don't know if I'm up to it yet.

But yes, it's been interesting around here. I've been trying to come to terms with all of this and for the most part, failing spectacularly. I am not what you would call, oh, patient. Or even-tempered. It's been a lot to deal with and I will be the first to admit I need to work on that a lot. For every time that I manage to sit down calmly with Tate and try to redirect his actions/keep him from talking gibberish/stop his hitting/encourage him to interact with other kids/not make me want to bang my head against a wall, I have a time where I just. do. not. react. well. Kneeling in front of your child with tears running down your cheeks begging him to just please, please be normal is really not a high point in any parent's career.

Asperger's is by and large a social disorder. Tate does not do well with making eye contact or picking up on social cues made by other children or adults. I cannot remember the last time I saw him sit down next to another child and play with them, as opposed to next to them. Usually it takes quite a bit of cajoling on my part just to get him to sit next to another kid, period. Unless there's food involved.

The main problem is when he does interact with people, it's made up of talking gibberish, intentionally calling people wrong names, getting agitated and upset when they respond, pushing, hitting, grabbing, squeezing, pointing, grunting, being oppositional and defiant (see where that term Oppositional Defiance Disorder comes from? See how they did that?) refusing to answer questions or ask for things or look people in the eyes or....well, all that kind of stuff. Not to say this is how he is 100% of the time, because it's not. He has lots of good days. He just has a lot more bad ones. And the meltdowns. Oh Lordy, the meltdowns.

The reason I struggled for awhile with writing this post was because it seems like these days with Facebook and blogs and Twitter and all that, a lot of what people write just seems kind of...attention whorish. I mean, obviously I was not going to update my status on Facebook as "OMG!!! My kid totally has Asperger's! Like this sux so hard core! Can't wait to hang with my girlz tonite! LOL!!!!", but I felt at some point I should just kind of put it all out there and this seemed the best way in which to do it. My family and close friends (who I consider family by this point) have known for awhile. I then started mentioning to it a few other people and hoping the word might just kind of spread naturally. And now I feel like it might be beneficial for me and Tate to just throw it on out there. Hey! Lookie! Tate has Asperger's!! Wheeeeee!


There have been many times where people have given Tate dirty looks. Or made snide comments about his behavior. Or just kind of made me think they pretty much regarded him as strange and weird and freakish. I don't know if they think I don't notice when they do this but hi. I can see. Oh, and hear. Crazy, I know. Now the thing I've been wondering is, when Tate gets in one of his moods and I see the looks and hear the comments, do I A) ignore the judgemental bitches and comfort myself by thinking that if they're the type of person to judge and ridicule a 4 year old then they're pretty much destined to a life of being stupid, small-minded and ugly or B) resign myself to having to explain every odd behavior and epic meltdown by saying "He's got Asperger's. It's Asperger's. Not that it's really your business but there you have it. Have a lovely day, skeezos."
So, even though it may not sound like it, one of the strongest emotions I have had through all of this is relief. Now we know. I've suspected very strongly for about a year now that his aggression and all his little quirks and challenging ways have been telling us something that we weren't quite ready to hear, but we heard, and now we know. I'm scared for Tate...I'm scared that he will be shunned, ridiculed, left out, everything that we dread for our children. I worry that he's unhappy and frustrated and doesn't know what to do. But I do know this: Compassion is the most powerful parenting tool I possess. I just need to freakin' use it more often.
I mean, look at this face:
That is one of my very favorite faces in the world. This is what I know for certain.

15 comments:

  1. Now I'm welling up. I hope writing this out is cathartic. I'm glad you did. Very well written. Hang in there. What really IS normal these days anyway? You know you have a crew to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for finally being ok to talk about our Tater!! I bet you feel even more relief right about now. This doesn't really compare, but I remember with Gabby's stuff, it was so hard to admit to the world that something was not the same with my child as it was for others. As a parent you want to protect your child from everything, but some things you can't. You can only hold their hand and guide them through it. Tate is in the hands of two wonderful people and will be lead through all this to become a stong, smart, and succesful young man! Love you!!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:01 PM

    I always have wine and cookies, Melissa. I don't really have anything wise or witty to say. Take care.
    Wendy Adams

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you and I know this wasn't easy. As for the looks from people - Screw them! What comes around goes around and they'll get there's too. Tate is so fortunate to have you backin' him. Love you all!

    Oh, and wine and cookies - totally an ok diet.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:11 PM

    I know very little about Asberger's, but I do know this...Tate is really lucky to have you :) Being honest about your frustrations, sadness, and unconditional love are exactly what makes you the type of person that is strong enough to handle this.

    My cousin recently had a son that was born with numerous joints and bones completely missing in his right arm. HE will undergo years of surgeries, and he will always live a "limited" life. I remember her saying, "God must think pretty highly of me and Geoff to present us with this challenge and know that we will prevail." I am not so good at being a "God" person, but I couldn't agree more with her, and I think you fall right into that same category!

    Wishing you lots of success int he future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me love wine and cookies! (And I'm not just saying that to be all mi casa su casa - I truly do love both in a way that is probably wrong and unholy.)

    I am probably the 80th person to ask you this, but have you read "Look Me in the Eye"? I found it to be an interesting read. From what I've gathered, from the info about Aspergers that has seeped into my brain from various sources, is that people with Aspergers sort of see themselves as having "different" brains but not "wrong" brains. What's to say we all have to be constructed the same way? This is why many folks with deafness have no interest in the cochlear implant - they view themselves as being part of a specific culture and not as having a disability.

    From what I know about you, Melissa, I have no doubt you will always be everything Tate needs in a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:39 PM

    I love Tater and I love you! You are an amazing mom and friend! You are such a strong person, even at times you don't think you are... YOU ARE! Good for you for posting this.. and making people aware when they judge someone, in reality they are hurting them.. shame on them... but they are the ones who will be hurt at the end. I truly believe in what comes around goes around... Keep doing what you are doing,Mel, stay the strong person you are.... I see a bright future for our Tater bug!!! I love you my dear friend and have so much respect for you!!!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:01 PM

    How brave of you to share this with the world. This is so good for other parents who can relate and for others to understand and learn more about it. You're already such an amazing person, and this just makes you all the more extraordinary. I can't begin to imagine what it's like to process all of this, but know it's got to be tough. Hang in there. xoxoxoxo's

    Your biggest fan,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Melissa
    We love you and we love Tate. We will always be here to support you no matter what. You are are a great Mom to Tate and Nora. Even on your hardest day, I hope you are proud of what a good job you are doing :) Please always know that I am here whenever you need anything.

    Jessica T :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:18 PM

    What a beautiful post Melissa! You're an awesome mom and Tate and Nora both are super lucky to have you in their corner.
    ~Nicci

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's lots of really nice things I could say right now...but I guess I have to come clean and tell you that it's OK to just lose it and beg your kid to be normal (I've done it). It's ok to tell the whole world that he has Asperger's so they can stop staring or it's ok to just tell them to go to hell (done that too). Only you and Eric get to decide what works for you, and you'll be great at it somedays and sometimes it will seem impossible to understand him much less cope with the behavior. You've been asked to take on a parenting challenge that most people cannot even fathom, so you absolutely MUST cut yourself some slack sometimes. That's the most important thing you can do for yourself and Tate. I'm really sorry your family is going through this, but happy you have answers. If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. Janice M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:48 AM

    I don't know you and you don't me but I felt like I had to comment. I used to work with children with developmental/social disorders understand your pain/anguish/guilt, etc. Please, please know that behavioral therapy with a properly licensed practioner can be so helpful. If your doctor isn't offering these services find one who does. If you can't afford services talk to family services for the county you live in. Services are available, unfortunately sometimes you have to dig. Hang in there, don't try and do this alone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:24 PM

    I don't know you, but this totally touched me. My son is almost 2 and I have been dealing with concerns that something is not right. We are going to get him evaluated soon. I could totally relate to your blog and what you're going through! I hope the blog helps you get stuff off your chest as you deal with the diagnosis. I will be reading! Good luck to you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa, this is such a sweet and well-written post. I know it's not really the same thing, but I kind of know how you feel, based on the various issues Maddie is having. I'm here if you ever want to commiserate over a box of wine :)

    -Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Melissa!

    I didn't see this post until now- otherwise I for sure would have commented much sooner. You are a fabulous mommy, I've always thought that about you. Seeing how you are with your kids at our photo shoots together- you have great patience! AND a great sense of humor!! My little brother Tanner (20yrs old) has Asperger's Syndrome, but he wasn't diagnosed until he was 7 or so. It was and has been quite an adventure. If you ever want to talk, I'm here!

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to let it all out.