Friday, July 25, 2008

I notice that you're feeling frustrated

We went to go see a parenting coach give a speech last night on how to keep your kids from turning into homicidal maniacs. I found much of it interesting, but some of it...I don't know. Like, when my two-year old throws a fit over having to come inside and put pants on, I'm supposed to say "I understand that you prefer to hang free than contain yourself in a plastic diaper, and I know you're frustrated, but inside. Now." My kid doesn't care if I understand and empathize. He just wants to sun his booty outside and water the grass his own way. So I don't know. I'll try it. It's all about "internalizing" and "tagging". I think I'll take a lot of what she suggested and try and implement it, but not all of it. Like I liked how she suggested that when Tate belts another kid, to go fawn over the victim and ignore Tate so he doesn't get the attention he wanted. Although that'll work a lot better on kids that I know...I don't know if some random mama will want me picking up their kid and cooing over them.
So Nora keeps losing her hair. It's getting ridiculous. She's got the mohawk, then sideburns and a rat tail in back. She's got a bald ring around the back of her head. I'm either gonna have to shave her head or take her in to get extensions. Plus, sometimes she kinda looks like a boy. Her hair naturally does this comb-over style on top so it looks like she's channeling Donald Trump. So I usually put her in dresses, but then I think she kinda looks like a boy in a dress. She's still the cutest damn baby ever, though. I can't get enough of her. She's started laughing and it's the best noise. Plus she can roll over now and she always looks so stinkin' proud of herself after she's done it. Oh, and she can stick her toes in her mouth, which is always a good talent to have for later in life. I can fit my whole fist in my mouth. Take from that what you will.
So tomorrow I turn 30, and we're having friends over for a drinking session. I'm excited! We love entertaining friends at our place and it should be a good time. The next day, however, will probably not be so enjoyable. Eh, it's the price you pay. I gotta spit in the face of turning 30 somehow.
Next step, minivan.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm not sure if I buy the whole "not tagging" thing, but I guess anything is worth a try. I'll try it right now. I notice that you are blogging much more often now, I notice that. Looking forward to partying Sonnenberg style tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:47 PM

    Hey there,
    Sorry I missed your party.
    I think you should try driving in downtown Chicago with a kid yelling "I gotta poop" at the top of her lungs; it might make the Door County drive seem like a breeze!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to let it all out.