Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Robo-Nora Marley

I may have mentioned this in passing once or three thousand times before, but Nora does not sleep. I think she's a robot, as we humans tend to snooze every once in awhile. If you need more proof of her robot-ness, here ya go.


Ok, there she actually looks more like a cross between Jack Nicholson and some sort of zombie-type creature, but still. Those Jack zombies aren't human anyway, so it's the same thing.

As an example to her non-sleeping un-humanosity, let's look at the events of the last 18 hours or so. She went to bed last night at 7, as usual. She then woke up at 8:30 fussing and putzing around and was awake until 11. For reals. I let her complain for awhile, then went in there and rocked her back to sleep. As soon as I'd put her butt back in bed, her eyes would pop open, her head would pop up and she'd start yodeling in protest. This went on FOREVER. Finally, when Eric got home from work, I went downstairs (very calmly and quietly, of course. No frustration here) and informed him in no uncertain terms that it was his turn to try and wrestle the baby into slumber.

She slept til 6 this morning. Yeah, 6. 11 to 6. It's now 1:04 pm and she has yet to nap. I'm not kidding. She took a 10 minute snooze in the car on the way to check out a preschool for Tate, and damned if that's not all she's given me. 10 minutes in the last 7 hours. Do you believe me now when I say I gave birth to a robot? Total insanity.

Tate, on the other hand, took a break from his usual evildoings the other night to do this in our family room.


He never falls asleep like that. Ever. Is it bad that I kinda enjoy when he's feeling a little under the weather? He's so...calm and un-insane. Plus, this was the night after Thanksgiving, which was a busy day for us, so he had some sleep to catch up on. He had a busy Black Friday, too. We went to Kohl's (I do not know why. We didn't buy anything and had no reason to be there except to stress ourselves out and tell Tate to stop licking random sweaters), where he took great glee in announcing "I gots POOPIES" at the top of his lungs as Eric was carrying him. I was far enough behind that it was easy for me to pretend I didn't know them, and therefore was able to laugh my ass off.

As I mentioned, we went to check out a preschool today for Tate, since they have to register in January. As soon as we brought him in the room, his eyes got wide and you could just see him thinking "Oh, hells no, bitches!" and start making a beeline for the door. He thought we were going to leave him there. He did calm down eventually, although he refused to actually speak to the teacher. When she asked him how old he was, he responded by flopping onto the floor dramatically. Uh, that means he's two.


We also took both kidlets to get their flu shots and they were stone cold champs. Neither cried at all. Nora did look a little irritated, like "who the hell sticks a needle in my thigh fat roll?" but couldn't be bothered to drum up more emotion than that. Because she's a robot, you see. She also takes great joy in eating paper. My sister was asking for suggestions for what to get Nora for Christmas, and my first thought was perhaps a nice thick Sears catalog for her to gnaw on. That sucker would last a good week or two. Oh, and she's been sounding like Bob Marley lately. I'm serious. There's that part of "Buffalo Solder" (I think that's the song...I usually only hear Bob in bars, so my memory tends to be a bit fuzzy when it comes to his music) where he's "ay-yi-yi"-ing a bunch and I swear she does the exact same thing. Timing, rhythm, everything. I think I should start dreading her hair when it gets long enough. Can you see the resemblance?


bob marley Pictures, Images and PhotosUncanny.

4 comments:

  1. Uh oh. I left a comment but it somehow disappeared.

    I flew over here from themomblogs! I see the look-alike as plain as day. If I squint and turn my head to the left it is quite obvious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:46 PM

    Laughing about licking sweaters...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:57 PM

    I just stopped by from the momblogs.

    My 2 year old used to sleep a LOT like Nora does. And by a LOT, I mean exactly like Nora does. And while I promised myself that I would NEVER, EVER co-sleep that is what I finally did with her. And it worked and we all (usually) sleep all night long.

    As a former preschool teacher- I'm sure the teachers are looking forward to having Jack in their class ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I right there with you about feeling a sort of relief when one of my kids are sick and therefore much more calm and sleepy. :)

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to let it all out.