Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Updater on the Tater

It's been an interesting 24 hours around here. I last posted that Tate seemed to be getting better, was up to his usual evil overlord ways, etc, etc. However last night around 6 pm he was acting awfully listless and droopy so I decided to take his temperature again. Yeah, so...

Thermometer: 106.0

Me: CLUNK.

Seriously? I didn't think it was possible to get a fever that high. Wouldn't that entail you like, turning into a blazing ball of flames or something? A HUNDRED AND SIX??? So I took a deep breath and stuck the thermometer in his ear again. 105.8. And again. 105.8. Ah. Well, that's much better.

I went into my patented "Oh-my-God-what-do-I-do-do-I-call-Eric-or-the-doctor-or-an-ambulance-what-do-I-do-whatdoIdowhatdoIdo" mode. I paged Eric at work, putting 911 in front of our number so he'd know it was urgent and he told me to call the nurse hotline. Which any clearly-thinking person would have done first, but as we already established, I was not in clear-thinking mode. I was in "Omgwdiddiceortdoaawdidwdidwdid" mode.

When I told the nurse that his temp was 105.8, she said that ear thermometers weren't always the most accurate so I had to do it the other way. The yucky way. Let's just say Tate was THRILLED about that one. As he was screaming, the nurse dryly said "Well, he's obviously coherent, at least." Rectal temp was 105.4. The nurse paused, and then said "Yeah...I'm gonna have you bring him in". Good call.

I called my friend Aimee and she came right over to stay with Nora, like an angel, and Tate and I took off to urgent care. Oh, but before all this happened, he yorked chocolate milk all over the floor. Almost forgot about that. So then of course while we were in the car, Tate was acting perfectly normal, yelling at red lights, huffing at having to wait for our chance to turn left...the usual. I always get all paranoid that I'm going to get my kids to the doctor and the fever will magically be gone and they'll practically be up doing a jig on the table and I'll look like a prime nincompoop.

But when they took his temp, it was 105.4. The nurse didn't even seemed fazed by it. I just wanted to be like "DUDE! It's almost 106! That's the temperature where the body basically starts cooking itself!! Let's get a little concerned, here!!" The doctor's diagnosis? Tate is prone to frequent, high fevers. He called it "Persistant Fever Syndrome". I called it "I Could Have Told You That, Pal." He said it would probably go away in a couple days, and most likely would come back again at some point. Then he said goodbye. So that was just great. Totally cleared up my worries. Poof. Gone. Ha.

So now I don't know. We go back in to the doctor tomorrow, and they may run more tests to start ruling things out. Or they may not. I feel like I really need to ask for something to be done to get this figured out, but I don't even know what that would be. A 2 year old should not have that high of a fever for that many days in a row, this frequently.

What I do know, though, is that I have awesome friends. The number of people who have called, emailed, Facebooked, etc, to check on Tate just blows my mind. It's a huge comfort to know there are that many people who care about my little dude.

And on another high note, my good friend Jodi's little girl Gabby had her surgery today and it went really really well. So many people have been thinking and praying for her and it's such a relief to have it all over and done with. She's such a little trooper. Rock on, Gabs.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that Gabby's surgery went well! YAHOO! Not so glad to hear about Tate. 106?!?!? Wow, I would have crapped my pants. I hope you get some answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Dr. needs a swift kick in the a**!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:31 PM

    Been thinking about you guys lately. My kids have both been having random high fevers but nothing like Taters! At 106 I would have been close to hysterical!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:44 PM

    Hi Melissa!
    Your such a wonderful mother. Truly!
    I'm really sorry Tate has been having fevers. It's odd for sure. However, kids do get weird things. If your gut thinks it's something else don't hesitate to be pushy. See as many Drs. as you need. Ask for labs or whatever.
    He's in our prayers.
    Much love,
    Stephanie M

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to let it all out.