Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gimme an F! Gimme an R! Gimmie a U! Gimme...

...eh, never mind. "Frustrated" is too long to spell out like that. Plus I'd probably get confused and throw a random "Q" in there somewhere.

So Tate's been getting the high fevers again. Yesterday morning and Sunday night it got up to almost 105. Not cool. I can see getting high fevers every once in awhile, or low-grade fevers fairly often, but not topping out at 105.3 at least once a month. We went to the doctor and poor Tate ended up having to get needles jabbed in both arms to get blood drawn. My fault. I have shitty veins and I guess I passed it down to my son, along with my razor-sharp wit. You take the good with the bad. However, I can say with absolute certainty that there are few things as heart-wrenching as seeing your baby being held down on a table with terror in their eyes as they yell for you in complete panic. I was a wreck. A wreck who was holding Nora who was sucking on her finger, sticking it in my ear and then dragging it across my cheek. That wasn't so enjoyable either. Although at that point I was so upset that she could have been sticking boogers into my mouth and I wouldn't have noticed.

So then we waited for 90 minutes. Tate lay on the floor in a feverish mass of toddler, and Nora pulled every single thing out of the drawers under the examining table. She also enjoyed weighing herself, playing with the stirrups on the table, trying to grab used latex gloves out of the hazardous waste bin, draping herself in a gown, and chewing on electrical wires under the desk. The girl knows how to have a good time in any situation.

We found out that Tate's white blood cell count is too high and he has some sort of infection. He's on antibiotics. I'm fairly confident in saying that we will be going through all of this again in a matter of a month or two. It happens so frequently, and he just gets so enervated because of it that it's truly hard to watch. He's like a lump of goo on the couch who every so often requests a glass of water or a cracker.

He is definitely feeling better today but is still not 100%. He has bravely mustered up the energy to inflict small amounts of torture on the dogs and his sister periodically , so he's definitely on the right path to recovery. I just wish I knew why these fevers kept happening. I don't like them.

You suck, fevers.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Tate:( Hope things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, sorry to hear about the fevers.

    I feel for you regarding the doctor visits. It is so exhausting to witness your kid's pain at the docs and tell them it's for their own good. Like they understand that!

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to let it all out.