Sunday, November 02, 2008

Halloween

So Halloween is over. Let the official stuffing of the face begin. Actually, I've done pretty good restraining myself so far. Tate only trick-or-treated at about 20 houses, so he didn't get too huge of a load. The only candy we have left over is a gigantic mound of Dum-Dums. There is Mount Dum-Dum on our shelf right now. But those don't count as candy...they're too small. You pop one in your mouth, suck for about a minute and poof! Gone. Then you have to go grab another one, because, really...can one be satisfied with just one Dum-Dum?

We had a fun week. We had a couple costume parties with the playgroup, and then our huge trunk-or-treat on Friday. It was a lot of fun. Everyone decorated their trunk all Halloween-y and put out candy and all the kids went around to each trunk and filled their little paws with goodies. I'm shocked I didn't win for best trunk. I had two pumpkins. Two WHOLE pumpkins, people. Yeah, I don't do creative stuff. Although I did make an apple crisp to bring, and as word spread that "Melissa? OUR Melissa??" actually baked something that A) didn't catch on fire or B) wasn't something that had the possibility of chipping someone's tooth, people dove in. I felt very proud of myself. That shit was good.

Then that night Eric took Tate out while Nora and I stayed and gave out candy. It was wonderful weather...warm and clear so we were able to sit outside the whole time and let people coo over Nora the Banana. Oh, I totally scared the crap out of some punks, though. There was a group of that annoying age (11ish, 12ish) of boys who thought that drawing a moustache on their face or ripping up a shirt constituted an actual costume and were out getting candy. I hate when kids do that. If you're too old to put a costume on, you're too old to trick or treat. And you're punks.
Anyway, they stopped at my neighbors house, who just had a bowl sitting out on their step while they took their daughter out. The boys took one look at the unaccompanied bowl and freaking attacked it. I saw them scooping handfuls of candy out of the bowl into their bags til there was nothing left. I then took the law into my own hands, stood up and shouted "HEY!! DON'T YOU DARE TAKE ALL THAT CANDY!! PUT IT BACK NOW NOW NOW!!!". I've never seen pre-teen boys jump that high. And they actually put it back and went on their way. They skipped coming up to my door, though. Guess they thought I was too scary.

So yesterday was pretty much spent on a sugar high for both me and Tate. We went through about 20 Dum Dums between the two of us. Although those things are so small they're easily lost. I was upstairs folding laundry on my bed when Tate says "Where's the supper (sucker), Mama? Where did it go? Hmmmm....", and stars looking around in earnest for his sucker. Well, in earnest for about 20 seconds before giving up and trotting downstairs for a new one. Cause like I say, we have 345479 of them. I could not find that damn sucker for the life of me. It was completely gone.

Oh, until I crawled into bed later that night. I was absolutely wiped out from being with the kids all day and not getting any sleep the night before. All I wanted to do was get into bed and lay my head on the pillow and relax. So I did.

And found the sucker. In my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to let it all out.